1. Description of project;
Phase 1 of this cooperative project, “Image Search Project,” was adopted in the Annual Meeting of the Expanded Trilateral (December, 2011) so as to solve the problem of reducing the burden of search for figurative trademarks by conducting joint research and information exchange with the aim of promoting future development of more precise/accurate image search systems.
Through the project, each TM5 Partner achieved a certain result such as developing and testing its own image search system. On the basis of this achievement, the JPO became convinced of the merit of information exchange, thus proposed and Partners agreed in the 2019 Annual Meeting to expand the project scope and add a Phase 2 to address general IT tools which support trademark examination.
Phase 2 of this cooperative project is to conduct an exchange of information regarding TM5 Partners’ IT tools for supporting trademark examination with a view to help each TM5 Partner improve its own IT tools or system for efficient trademark examination. Also, it aims at storing information among TM5 Partners so that each TM5 Partner can and will make effective use of them as referenced now and in the future when individually introducing or improving an IT tool or system.
2. Main activities
- June – August 2012: Partner Offices provided sample data of figurative trademarks to the JPO. JPO analyzed the said sample data.PDF
- October 2012: JPO reported the above analysis results at the 1st TM5 Annual Meeting.
- December 2013: At the 2nd Annual meeting. JPO presented solutions for some of the issues of the image search system. The Partners agreed that the JPO will host a working-level meeting in Japan in March or April of 2014, at which Partners can share information, and at which JPO may present its interim report on image searching.
- March 2014: Image Search Project Working-level Meeting was held at the JPO.
- December 2014 : TM5 Image Search Project PDF
- November 2017 : TM5 Image Search Project Experts Meeting PDF
- July 2021 : TM5 Image Search Project Experts Meeting
- June 2022 : TM5 Experts Meeting – IT Support for Trade Mark Examination Project
- June 2023 : TM5 IT Support for Trade Mark Examination Project – Expert meeting 2023
- The Partner Offices continue to share each of their activities.